Medicare pays for some screening services for its beneficiaries, using HCPCS codes. These screening codes are time-based
HCPCS codes with relatively low wRVU values and payment.
Some may be done by staff members. Some may be billed with other Medicare services. Some may be only done in primary care practices. Some will require a specific diagnosis code and have frequency limitations.
This coding guide includes an explanation of the guidelines for each of these codes, and information about bundling, diagnosis coding, specialty and site of service restricitons, and much more.
The screening codes included in this guide are:
- G0442 & G0443 – Screening for alcohol misuse and brief behavioral counseling
- G0443 – Brief face-to-face behavioral counseling for alcohol misuse, 15 minutes
- G0444 – Annual depression screening code
- G0446 – Intensive behavioral counseling for cardiovascular disease, HCPCS code
- G0447 – Behavioral counseling for obesity, HCPCS code
Login to download the guide
Don’t have a login? Become a member, or learn more about the benefits of membership by clicking on the link below.
- How Physician Services are Paid
- Risk Adjusted Diagnosis Coding for Medical Practices
- Critical Care Services